Author Topic: FreedomOne-PBI  (Read 4044 times)

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

FreedomOne-PBI
« on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Just got my FreedomOne-PBI in the mail today.  Had  full 24oz JT-paintball with IVT tank ready to go.  The FreedomOne-PBI screwed on nicely, and is now sitting in my sodastream fountain jet, making me cheaper burps. :)

(And thanks for the starburst candy that was also in the shipment. :) )

My price per oz of CO2, with this accessory, comes to 56 cents. (50 cents/oz + 12% tax).  My price per oz, from sodastream was $1.55 ($1.38/oz + 12% tax).  :gun2:

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

Re: FreedomOne-PBI
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:49:47 PM »
Now on my second fill, and I bought a second 24oz PB tank to have as a spare.  Given that the tanks are being filled with the chill and fill method, I now see that generally means its not possible to get much more than 70-85% of the rated capacity.

My first run through of the tank, got ~ 18oz. I took that opportunity to mark the TW with a sharpie, since I noted that PB tanks don't seem to have that info marked at all. That tanks second fill netted ~20oz.

This second tank I got, is now the first one on the machine, so I can empty it making cheap burps, and get its TW.

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

• CO2 Doctor
  • Administrator
  • Ignorance is curable... Stupidity is forever!
  • Soda Machine Model: Edition1
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:18 AM »
Thanks for the data, kinda puts it all in perspective and lets everyone see the true cost of the CO2.  I bet Sodastream would never share that info!  :storminmad:
We Cure the Sodastream Blues...

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

• Global Moderator
  • Soda Machine Model: Fountain Jet
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
Sadly you are exactly right ... they will never share that information.

Someone posted this comment on Sodastream's facebook page

I like the idea that I'm helping the environment by using SodaStream, however I see no money saving effect like everyone else is seeing. When you factor in the cost of the machine, CO2 replacements, and the flavorings (even without extra bottles etc.) I'm definitely paying more than I was buying store brand 2-liters from the supermarket (which tasted great and only cost $1 each). I think the only way this will save you money is if you buy name brand soda, and you're supermarket does not have great sales.

And Sodastream's response:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Dian. Many of our fans use store coupons when swapping their empty carbonators for full ones. That makes the price change from $15 to around $12 or $10.

:bugeye:   :angry3:  :suicide:   Seriously?? That was their response? I guess I cant say I expected much but wow

Needless to say I sent her a message about these products and links to the FreedomOne-PBI.  She didnt reply to the message so I'm hoping she didnt just blow me off as spam. Hopefully she at least checked it out and decided for herself. You can lead a horse to water ...  :drinks:

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »
Thanks for the data, kinda puts it all in perspective and lets everyone see the true cost of the CO2.  I bet Sodastream would never share that info!  :storminmad:

In comparison, sodastream must be using a $1500 or better pump.  I have weighed a few of the 14.5 oz tanks that I have gotten before the switch, prior to using them, marked that info down somewhere, then weighed the tanks when empty, (with no CO2 whatsoever coming out when the button is pressed, and it seems the tanks are about 0.3 - 0.5oz overfilled.  This has been fairly consistent.  Of course, that means there is a higher risk of the burst disc popping if it gets extra hot where the tank is stored,  like in a vehicle on a hot summer day.  If that happens, then its bye bye CO2, and therefore, bye bye money.  I would rather be slightly under filled as that allows for a greater temperature rise before the burst disc pops.

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

• CO2 Doctor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:29:29 AM »
Commercial refillers typically use either hydraulic or pneumatic intensifier pumps which depending on the setup can exert pressures all the way up to and beyond 3000psi, especially those that refill HPA (High Pressure Air) or SCUBA equipment.

In the case of CO2 refillers, the force-pumping does not necessarily exceed a tank's rated capacity in ounces or cc's.  However, liquid CO2 being a liquid in its typical state, and having physical properties (like it's natural phasing points), volumetric or filling by weight will always yield the most precise results.  Variables that will play a role in discrepancies of the measurements will always be due to either ambient temperature or physical volumetric differences from one 24oz tank to another 24oz tank (example) since wall thicknesses will affect actual volume capacity.  An example would be two different 5 gallon gas cans from two different vendors, each is stamped 5gal, but there is maybe a .25oz difference due to one having a slightly larger volume due to material differences.

The one constant that will ALWAYS yield the same results with regard to tank pressure, even if the tanks are of different sizes or minimally to maximum fill, is temperature.  When liquid CO2 reaches "X" temperature it will gassify, no matter how much voulume you have in the tank.  That is why a 3K burst disk is so reliable, no matter if you have a 9oz tank or a 24oz tank, or even a 50lb tank, at 3000psi, it WILL vent.

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

• CO2 Doctor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:46:11 AM »
You must be referring to "Ms. Fizz"...  Don't be too hard on her, she's just a company employee towing the company line. :jester:

One nice thing about the internet (even if Al Gore invented it  :crap:), at least there are dissenting opinions as yours which are backed up with facts, even though theirs is not.

CO2Doctor went into business in 2007 for the same reasons you and others have correctly cited, which is the outright deception that they will save you money and offer a "greener" planet in return.  Conveniently, they neglected to mention the environmental footprint that the following leave in order to produce their products an puny 14.5oz tanks:

- Massive industrial forging operations to manufacture MILLIONS of 14.5oz Tanks and Components
- Oil consumption in the manufacturing of polymers/plastics for their machines and 1liter Bottles
- MILLIONS of gallons of Diesel Truck Fuel used in transporting their 14.5oz tiny CO2 tanks via UPS or road carriers

And that's only THREE off the top of my head.

As a side note, Cuisinart partnered with Primo and is now selling a soda maker.  If you thought Sodastream's 14.5oz tank was small and did not last long, you will laugh at Cusinart's 4oz tank!  :lol:

We have a Cusinart in house that we're using for development of the FreedomOne system for it, and in testing we wre only able to properly carbonate a few 1liter bottles before it died.  The 4oz tanks are $16 each and NOT refillable (proprietary).

Gotta love these marketing yo-yo's!

Offline HIDDEN TO GUESTS

• Soda Machine Model: Jet
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
I'm a happy camper as mine arrived today! Very fast shipping at four days order-to-door, thank you. Some assembly required (putting in the adjustment screw). Bad thing is I decided to save eight bucks by ordering a 24oz tank off of Amazon versus buying a 20oz at my local store.  As that seller is apparently shipping by the slowest method known to man I won't have my tank until late next week! So I will have to wait to try it out (or buy a second tank, which I probably should anyway). Still $4.49 per 24oz refill local versus $15.00 per 14.5oz exchange makes it well worth the wait.

adminaccess